Skip to Content

Billings Accident Law Firm for Hit and Run Accidents

If you were involved in a hit and run accident where a driver fled the scene of the crash, you may be entitled to monetary damages if you suffered personal injury and/or your property was damaged. While our Billings accident law firm can explain your recovery options, the following is an overview of what you need to know if you were the victim of a hit and run car crash

The Aftermath of a Hit and Run Accident 

Nearly 65 percent of people killed in hit and run accidents are pedestrians and bicyclists. Because they do not have the protection of a car body around them, pedestrians and bicyclists are most vulnerable if hit. The failure to stop and render aid or at least call the police and paramedics after hitting someone is one of the worst things a driver can do. 

Though cyclists and pedestrians need to worry the most about hit and run accidents due to the extent of their injuries, cars can also face damage from a hit and run accident. Your vehicle may have been damaged in the parking lot or the driver may have hit your car and simply sped away without stopping to exchange information. It’s also not uncommon for homeowners or business owners to have suffered damage from a hit and run driver. Property damage is not uncommon and you may wish to receive the compensation you deserve.

No matter how you were affected by a hit and run accident, our Billings accident lawyers are here to help you navigate this difficult claim. 

Billings Accident Law Firm Explain What to Do After a Hit and Run 

If you are involved in a hit and run accident, you are going to be shaken up. If you can, try to follow these steps after the crash: 

  • Secure your safety. Check yourself and others for injuries. If you are in a car that was hit and it is still operational, move out of the way of traffic. Do not chase after the fleeing driver as that could result in greater danger to you and your passengers. 
  • Call 911 as soon as possible. Even if you do not think you or others are seriously injured, you should dial 911 and report the accident to police and request an ambulance. You and your passengers need to be checked out by EMT professionals as sometimes the shock of the accident can mask symptoms. The driver who hit you might be intoxicated and you will want authorities to get them off the road if possible. And of course you want the at-fault driver caught so you can hold them responsible for your damages. 
  • Take photos and find witnesses. Document the scene with photos and/or videos. Ask any witnesses to provide their contact information.
  • File a police report. Sometimes hit and runs occur when you are away from your car. As soon as you become aware that your car was hit, file a report so you have documentation that might be required by your insurance company.

Dealing With Auto Insurance Issues After a Hit and Run Accident

When you’re in an accident with an at-fault driver who doesn’t leave the scene, their insurance will typically cover the cost of injuries and damages. With a hit and run accident, however, your own insurance must cover the bills if the driver is not located. There are several different types of insurance that could potentially cover a hit and run accident, provided you have opted into the coverage. These include:

  • Uninsured driver coverage 
  • Medical Coverage
  • Personal injury protection (PIP) coverage
  • Collision coverage

The best way to determine how to collect from your insurance company after a hit and run accident is to consult with Billings accident lawyers who can assess your coverage and your options. 

Contact Us to Speak With Our Billings Accident Law Firm

To speak with a Ragain & Clark, PC accident attorney about collecting compensation for injuries you sustained in a hit and run accident in Montana or Wyoming, contact us online. Initial consultations are always free. To call our offices directly, call:

Billings Office: 406-651-8888

Worland Office: 307-388-6400


Get Trusted Help Now

We provide legal representation to Montana and Wyoming individuals and small businesses.