Billings Medication Errors Lawyer to Help Families Recover Fair Compensation
Medication errors can lead to severe consequences including permanent injury and even death. If a doctor prescribes the wrong drug or dose, or if he or she fails to take serious drug allergies into account, the result can be devastating. Similarly, if a pharmacist makes a mistake filling a prescription, patients can be harmed. If you have been harmed due to a medication error, you may be able to recover damages for your injuries by filing a medical malpractice lawsuit. While a Billings medication errors attorney is in the best position to assess your particular situation, including the monetary damages you are entitled to receive, the following offers information that is useful to anyone who has been victimized by medical malpractice due to a medication mistake.
Our Billings Medication Errors Attorney Explains How Mistakes Happen
There are numerous actions connected with prescribing or administering medication that have the potential to cause patient harm. The following are examples of errors that can give rise to a claim of medical malpractice.
- Prescribing or administering the wrong dose of a medication
- Administering the wrong drug to the patient
- Failure to take patient’s history before prescribing medication
- Overprescribing a particular medication, including addictive pharmaceuticals such as opioids
- Failure to explain the risks associated with a medication to a patient
- Failure to consider the complications and dangers that could occur when mixing medications
What are the Common Causes of Medication Errors?
As your Billings medication errors lawyer can attest, there is no one-size-fits-all reason that medication errors occur. Whether the at-fault party was the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist, the causes of medication errors are varied. Some examples are:
- The medical practitioner was not properly trained
- The medical practitioner was ineffective in communicating to the patient
- The medical practitioner lacked the necessary experience or knowledge regarding the medication
- A lack of established procedures and protocols or a failure to properly follow established procedures
- The medical practitioner became distracted while ordering, filling, or administering the medication
- There were errors in the labeling and/or packaging of the medication
- The medical provider relied on inaccurate patient records
- The patient was not monitored properly
How a Billings Medication Errors Lawyer Can Help Families in Montana and Wyoming
Contacting an experienced Billings medication error attorney as soon as possible is important. Not only are there statutory deadlines for filing your medical malpractice claim, but you want to make sure that your lawyer has the opportunity to gather the strongest evidence possible to help you with your claim so you can prove the mistake resulted from the healthcare provider’s negligence. In addition, in most cases, you will need to establish a causal link between the negligent act and your injury, as well as the damages — lost wages and additional medical expenses, for example — that you suffered.
Contact Us to Receive a Free Consultation
To speak with a Ragain & Clark, PC medical malpractice lawyer about pursuing a claim in Montana or Wyoming, contact us online. Initial consultations are free. To call our offices directly, call:
Billings Office: 406-651-8888
Worland Office: 307-388-6400