Why You Should Take Slip and Fall Accidents Seriously
Ragain & Clark December 24, 2019
It is estimated that up to a million people visit hospital emergency departments each year after slipping and falling, and many suffer severe injuries.
And while not every instance of falling results in harm, common types of injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Knee damage
- Shoulder dislocation
- Muscle strains
- Sprained ankles
- Sprained wrists
- Spine and nerve damage
- Traumatic brain injury
The pain and suffering following a slip and fall injury can be devastating and sometimes the victim is permanently disabled.
The unfortunate truth is that many slip and fall accidents could have been avoided if property owners had taken necessary precautions or made necessary repairs to their premises.
Property owners owe a duty to their visitors and when they violate that duty and a person is injured, then that injured party is entitled to seek recovery for his or her damages. A Billings personal injury attorney can discuss your individual case and damages. But, whether or not you think you have a claim against a property owner following a slip and fall injury, the following are steps everyone should take after a slip and fall.
What Should You Do After a Slip and Fall Accident? Contact a Billings Personal Injury Attorney
If you are injured in a slip and fall accident, you are encouraged to do the following:
- Let the manager or property owner know and complete an incident report. Be sure that you get a copy of the report.
- See a doctor as soon as you can, even if you don’t immediately feel pain. Some conditions, like soft tissue damage, do not manifest immediately. Also, even seemingly mild bumps on the head can cause a concussion or another type of traumatic brain injury. Symptoms may not appear immediately but repercussions can be lasting.
- If there are witnesses present, be sure to get their contact information. You may need them later to substantiate your claims about the conditions of the area where you fell.
- If possible, take pictures of the accident site. Be sure to take photos from different angles and if the area was wet or icy you need to make sure your photographs reflect those conditions.
- Seek the counsel of experienced Billings personal injury attorney. You may have a case for damages and it is advisable to speak with an attorney knowledgeable in slip and fall cases so you understand your rights.
Do not hesitate to contact our office today to discuss the specifics of your case.