Why You Should Consider Hiring a Billings Truck Accident Attorney
Ragain & Clark July 30, 2021
Truck accident victims face a number of challenges, especially if they have been severely injured. If you decide to pursue a claim for your injuries and losses, it is critical that you pick the right lawyer – while any personal injury attorney may be able to navigate the process, you need an experienced Billings truck accident attorney to ensure that you are compensated for the full value of your claim.
Truck Accidents Have Unique Causes
While many truck accidents share the same causes as other motor vehicle accidents, there are several causes that are unique to truck accidents. Some of the most common causes are as follows:
- Driver fatigue – truck drivers spend long hours behind the wheel, driving from sunrise to sunset and even longer. Truck drivers are much more likely to fall asleep behind the wheel than other drivers.
- Lack of experience and training – driving a semi-truck or tractor-trailer safely requires a specific skill set.
- Mechanical failures – trucks spend thousands of hours on the road each year. Failure to properly maintain the truck can lead to mechanical failures with the truck itself or the trailer.
- Unbalanced or unsecured loads – tractor-trailers carry heavy loads. If the truck hasn’t been properly loaded, unbalanced or unsecured cargo can significantly affect how the truck handles. This can make it difficult for the driver to stop or maneuver in order to avoid an accident.
An experienced Billings truck accident attorney will be able to identify these unique causes and gather the evidence you need to prove your case.
Truck Accidents Often Involve Corporate Defendants
Because the trucking company is typically responsible for the actions of its drivers, it is likely that you will have to pursue your claim against the trucking company. This can complicate your case – it isn’t always easy to identify who the trucking company may be. In addition, they work closely with their attorneys to defend themselves against claims. Trucking companies are often uncooperative and are unlikely to accept liability.
In addition, there may be other corporate entities at fault, such as the company that loaded the trailer, or the mechanic who maintains the trucks. In some cases, defective truck parts may be to blame for the accident. A knowledgeable Montana truck accident attorney can help you navigate these issues and hold the proper party accountable.
The Trucking Industry is Subject to Special Laws
Another reason why you should consider speaking with a Billings truck accident attorney is that the trucking industry must comply with specific state and federal regulations. These regulations govern a wide range of matters, such as the following:
- Driver licensing requirements
- Maintenance standards
- Weight limits
- Limitations on the number of hours drivers can spend behind the wheel per day and per week
If the driver or the trucking company has violated state or federal trucking regulations, it could serve as powerful evidence in your case.
Talk to a Truck Accident Attorney Today
If you have been injured in a truck accident, a truck accident attorney from Ragain & Clark can help you get the compensation you deserve. To schedule a free consultation, call us at 406-651-8888 or contact us online to discuss your case and how we can help.