A car accident can leave you stunned and not sure what to do. Even though many may say that the next steps are common sense, car accidents are disorienting and confusing experiences. It isn’t easy to know what to do, especially when you’ve been injured. Regardless, a Billings car accident attorney can help you navigate the next steps if you’ve been injured through someone else’s negligence.
At the Scene
The moments following your accident are critical for your health and safety. However, they are also very important in the event that you need to pursue a claim. To the extent that you are able to, you should take the following steps immediately following your accident:
- Remain calm – do not panic or engage in an altercation with the other driver.
- Contact the police. You and the other driver should remain at the scene until they arrive.
- If you think you may be injured, request an ambulance.
- Identify potential witnesses and ask for their contact information.
- Exchange insurance and contact information with the other driver. Using your phone to take pictures of the other driver’s insurance card, driver’s license, and plate numbers can be a good way to capture a lot of this information.
- Take pictures of the damage to your vehicle, the other driver’s vehicle, and the scene of the accident. Consider taking pictures that capture any relevant details such as signage or road hazards.
If you were seriously injured and could not take these steps, that’s ok – an experienced Billings car accident attorney can still help you build a claim.
In the Days After the Accident
The days immediately following the accident are also important in the event that you need to pursue a claim against the other driver. Here are the steps you need to take in order to protect your rights:
- Get a thorough medical examination if your symptoms continue, get worse, or new symptoms appear. You should get a follow-up examination even if you were treated at the scene or immediately afterward.
- Follow the treatment prescribed by your doctor, even if they recommend that you stay home from work for a few days while you recover. Many people jeopardize their claims by failing to follow their doctor’s orders.
- Contact your insurance company and the other driver’s insurance company about the accident. Do not discuss who you think is at fault, what you think caused the accident or the extent of your injuries.
- Contact any witnesses and ask them to provide statements about what they saw.
- Obtain a copy of the police report.
- Keep track of any lost wages or other income caused by the accident.
- Keep track of any additional expenses you have incurred due to the accident. For example, you should keep receipts for transportation expenses because you cannot drive your car.
- Keep copies of all medical bills and records related to your accident.
- Keep copies of any and all correspondence related to your accident.
For many people, these tasks can seem overwhelming. If you’ve been injured and need help, an experienced Billings car accident attorney can help you build your case so that you can get the compensation you need.
Injured in a Car Accident? Contact Billings Car Accident Attorney Jim Ragain
You can face numerous challenges when recovering from a car accident. The good news is that you don’t have to face these challenges alone. Billings car accident attorney Jim Ragain has decades of experience in helping car accident victims get the compensation they need to rebuild their lives. If you’ve been injured as a result of someone else’s negligence, he can help – contact us at 406-651-8888 to schedule a free consultation today.