Three of the Most Common Types of Medical Malpractice Claims
Ragain & Clark December 31, 2021
Medical malpractice claims are more common than many people think. Unfortunately, it can often be difficult to identify potential claims – there is no guaranteed outcome for many forms of treatment, and some illnesses or conditions can be difficult to diagnose and treat. That said, avoidable mistakes happen more often than the medical industry would like to admit, resulting in considerable harm to patients in Montana and across the country. If you suspect that you have suffered harm as a result of medical malpractice, you should discuss your case with a Montana medical malpractice lawyer as soon as possible.
Many medical malpractice cases are the result of diagnostic errors, including the following:
- A failure to diagnose your illness at all
- Failing to diagnose your illness in a timely fashion
- Diagnosing you with the wrong illness or medical condition
These errors can be caused in a variety of ways, including failing to carefully review your medical records or incorrectly interpreting test results. A Montana medical malpractice lawyer will be able to determine whether you have a medical malpractice claim due to a diagnostic error if you suspect that you have suffered harm.
We often overlook just how dangerous surgery can be. And while surgeons are typically highly-trained specialists, they are capable of negligence that can result in serious harm to their patients. You should contact a Montana medical malpractice lawyer if you have suffered any of the following surgical errors:
- Performing the wrong procedure or at the wrong site
- Damage to surrounding organs, tissues, nerves, muscles, ligaments, or tendons
- Surgical instruments or supplies left inside the body cavity
- Anesthesia errors
- Infection and other post-surgery complications
The fact that your surgery was unsuccessful or that there were complications does not necessarily mean that you have a medical malpractice claim. For these reasons, negligence isn’t always easy to identify in surgical cases, but an experienced Montana medical malpractice lawyer will be able to review your case and identify whether you have a claim.
Many malpractice claims are caused by routine medication errors, including the following:
- Prescribing the wrong medication to a patient
- Prescribing a medication that conflicts with other medications the patient is taking or they are allergic to
- Prescribing the wrong dosage
- Overprescribing potentially harmful or addictive drugs
- Failure to disclose known risks or side effects associated with a prescribed medication
Medication errors can result in considerable harm to the patient, including acute medical emergencies or serious health conditions that develop over time. If you suspect that you have suffered harm as a result of a medication error, you should discuss your case with a Montana medical malpractice lawyer before it’s too late.
Speak with a Montana Medical Malpractice Lawyer at Ragain & Clark Today
If you have suffered as a result of medical malpractice, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. With decades of experience in handling medical malpractice cases, we can review your claim and help you understand your options. Contact us today at 406-651-8888 to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case. We have convenient office locations for you in Montana and Wyoming.